One of my New Year’s resolutions was to switch to a vegetarian diet. So far, we’re almost a month in and I absolutely love it!
One of the best resources that I’ve been following is the Vegetarian Resource Group, which provides this definition of vegetarianism.
What is a Vegetarian?
Vegetarians do not eat meat, fish, and poultry. Vegans are vegetarians who abstain from eating or using all animal products, including milk, cheese, other dairy items, eggs, wool, silk, and leather. Among the many reasons for being a vegetarian are health, ecological, and religious concerns, dislike of meat, compassion for animals, belief in non-violence, and economics. The American Dietetic Association has affirmed that a vegetarian diet can meet all known nutrient needs. The key to a healthy vegetarian diet, as with any other diet, is to eat a wide variety of foods, including fruits, vegetables, plenty of leafy greens, whole grain products, nuts, seeds, and legumes. Limit your intake of sweets and fatty foods.
One of the bonuses of going vegetarian, besides the health benefits, is that I am learning how to cook lots of fun yummy recipes.
I’ll be sharing all the new recipes on here. Lots of recipes and ideas come from fab blog Forgiving Martha – love Jess!
Here’s my first attempt at Three Bean Chili, which I thoroughly enjoyed and froze for future feasts. Beans, Beans…
Three Bean Chili
– 1 can kidney bean
– 1 can black beans
– 1 can red beans
– 1/2 of frozen package of corn and peas
– 1 can diced tomatoes
– 1 can vegetable broth
– 1 green pepper, chopped
– 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
– 1 tsp chili powder
– shredded cheddar cheese
– 1/2 avocado, chopped
1. Saute green pepper and yellow onion in 1 tsp of vegetable oil.
2. Microwave can of vegetable broth for 30 seconds to bring temperature up before adding to the chili mixture
3. Drain all beans and rinse. Pour into pot and stir
4. Add 1/2 package of corn and peas. Can defrost in microwave if you like, but no need to as the heat of chili mixture will thaw peas and corn perfectly.
5. Add can of diced tomatoes
6. Add in sauteed green pepper and yellow onion
7. Pour in vegetable broth.
8. Stir all ingredients together and serve
9. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and avocado for extra flavor
How is everyone doing with maintaining their resolutions?!